Tuesday, September 7, 2010

In Defense of Curmudgeons

I've seen and heard a lot of complaints over the past while about "Science blogging" having devolved into more of an atheistic rant against religion. While this may have some merit, let me explain why it's cool with me.

Firstly, SKLOG is NOT a science blog. It's my little outlet for ranting about whatever the heck I feel like ranting about in a skeptical manner. For example, it was recently suggested to me that I watch the movie "The Fourth Kind" with an open mind to the possibilities. I intend to do that, then I intend to write about it. Since the movie makers have already admitted that the movie wasn't actually based on real events (as was claimed in the promos), I doubt that I'll be converted to believing in demonic aliens based on some cinematic special effects. That's real world skepticism, not science.

Pharyngula on the other hand IS a science blog written by P.Z. Meyers. It has proven to be the pace setter for all science bloggers out there and it often takes on a crotchety, ranty style. Cool by me.

Blogging is not the same as submitting scientific articles for peer review. It's consumer oriented, much like newspapers. Any popular blogs will have daily posts at a minimum. If a blogger posts weekly, most folks lose interest. People want to come by daily to read what's on the mind of the blogger in question. P.Z. happens to be the kind of guy who pulls no punches and throws a hekuva a lot of them. That's fun to read. It's more fun that we can get a new fix daily.

If we expect guys like P.Z. to write about hardcore research on a daily basis, forget about accuracy and watch Dr. Meyers step up to the unemployment line. He has a real job too, and it won't allow for 24 hour blogging. He writes his thoughts and shoots them off to the world. Next, he gets back to work until new thoughts enter his mind. He repeats the process.

I like Pharyngula for what it is and when P.Z. does write about more in depth science, I like that too. Let's understand what science blogging is. It's scientists sharing their thoughts. It's not a forum for serious research publication.

No comments:

Post a Comment