Friday, August 27, 2010

Phil Plait vs. P.Z. Myers! The Civil War Ensues! (or is it uncivil?)

Before you read my take, check out PZ's latest entry in Pharyngula.


How Being a Dick Probably Saved My Life


Gotta side with Phil on this one. Following through on commonsense health concerns is not being "dickish." It's being prudent. Telling someone else they are a pathetic idiot if they don't do this IS being a dick, and it will likely cause them to dig in their idiotic heels.

The argument Phil made was in regards to the overall approach of skepticism, in which many skeptics have definitely taken the tone of "if you believe in that BS, you're an idiot." I know that I faced my own previous beliefs when a good friend admitted being an atheist. Instead of acting superior, he asked me to spell out the reasons that I did believe in god. That's when I thought about it and realized on my own how foolish it was. He was opening a friendly conversation. It worked. No dickishness needed.

Yes, if a militant religious fanatic has plans to try to evangelize your child's public school, I'll be the lead asshole in charge of the fight back, no holds barred. If a friend puts a cup of sand on her windowsill every night to ward off witches, I'll be a friend and ask her to think about why she does it, and why she believes it's necessary. That's all Phil was saying.

No comments:

Post a Comment