Sunday, July 18, 2010

The Devil Potato



I took this picture in a friend's garden last night during a barbecue/pool party. It's a simple red potato popping out of the ground, ready to be harvested. We nicknamed it "The Devil Potato," though we should have probably called it "The Jesus Potato" and auctioned it off on eBay. Pretty freaky, huh?

The truth is, I'm the only one who noticed that it looks just like a face halfway out of the ground when you look at it from a very specific angle. The covering of the other face "half" with soil only adds to the illusion, and our minds fill in the blanks reinforcing the face image. When I took the picture with my iPhone and showed it to some friends, they were floored and didn't believe it wasn't photoshopped. I took them to the potato still in the ground and pretty soon the entire gathering of friends were crouded in the garden staring at this spud.

Next time you see a picture of the devil, or Jesus, or The Virgin Mary, or Elvis that was taken in a cloud of smoke just remember this little potato. Our minds can play some pretty cool tricks on us.

4 comments:

  1. Cool. I saw the picture and was wondering if this guy had actually buried someone, then I read the backstory

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG!!!! Yes !!! It IS the DEVIL !!!! And CERTAINLY a SIGN of the COMING of END TIMES which dictates that I must handwash all my linens in holy water, stock up on Healthy Harvest Split pea soup for a period of TWO decades of the Sorrowful Mysteries of the Rosary and purchase an M16 and aim it out the west window of my house at the false neighbors who planted this root in my garden as I believe they possess the numbers "5-7-2" on their inner left upper arm. !!!!! Thank you SOOO much for this sign and WONDER !!!!!! Now I KNOW I am ONE of "the chosen" !!!!!

    ReplyDelete