Friday, July 16, 2010

The Amazing Kreskin?

I had been told that Kreskin was an "old school" mentalist who walked the line between being an entertainer and claiming true psychic powers. I never knew the answer and I hadn't really thought of the guy in many years. I don't know why, but I thought of him again recently and looked up some of his videos on YouTube. I was depressed to find that he has actually pretty solidly gone over to the dark side by claiming real psychic ability.

A friend of mine has done quite well for himself financially. He is also a huge baseball fan and attended the Yankees Camp a few years back (which you need to be pretty well off to attend). Some old timers from the Yankees come play with the attendees and show them proper technique, etc. It's a week long adult camp full of baseball and meeting the guys you watched when you were a kid. His reaction to meeting his childhood hero? Depression. The guy was "as dumb as a hat full of screwdrivers."

Another friend works in the Professional Wrestling business. He has similarly met all the guys he watched as we grew up. Some are cool and level headed. Some are miserable, sad caricatures that were used as the model for Mickey Rourke's character in "The Wrestler." He was depressed to see this.

As I watched Kreskin in the old video clips, my heart sank. The tricks were obvious and almost amateurish to anyone who has studied mentalism a bit. I'm nowhere near good enough to do shows like he did (does), but I can see what he's doing and how he does it. I was depressed, but for different reasons than my friends.

Kreskin was never a hero or idol of mine. He was just a guy who I found entertaining. I enjoyed wondering about whether or not he was truly psychic. Now as I watch, I shake my head and wonder how anybody can be fooled. If you want to know how this trick below is done. just write me an email. Trust me though. You'll be disappointed.


No comments:

Post a Comment